Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Global Village and Rhode Islanders


This is not what you think it is or what you think it should be for that matter. As the global village becomes smaller and more interconnected, Rhode Island enjoys a unique place in the world. Rhode Islanders are more unique than their home. The evidence is overwhelming… Rhode Islanders are still Rhode Islanders wherever they are. They share a common language and a socio-cultural experience. Travel anywhere in the world and Rhode Islanders have RHODAR (aka rhodah)…They find each other regardless of the situation and the geography….”Jeit.”

Our family business is real estate, fertile ground for Rhode Island stories. My mother started Phipps Realty thirty years ago when our family relocated into Rhode Island. Among my mothers first Associates was Sandy Messing, mother of Debra Messing of Will and Grace. The stories of new office are hilarious. Sandy had to climb into the bathroom window to open the door, because she and my mother had locked themselves out. Or better yet, the tow truck operator landlord did not recognize Sandy’s new car, so he towed it---while she was talking on the phone fifteen feet from the car. The only separating her and the car was the plate glass window that she was facing.

My roommate from College was taking a train to Telluride, Colorado and hears two women talking with thick Rhode Island accents. He turns around introduces himself and asks if they know me or my family. Of course, one of the two women went to school with my sister Denise…ok it is Anne Denise and she will want me to include that she is significantly (six years) younger than I am. As my roommate said, you cannot miss Rhode Islanders.

Several years ago I had traveled to Washington DC staying near Regan National Airport. While going out for a late afternoon run along the Potomac, a woman who looks vaguely familiar begins running near me at a pace similar to mine. A few minutes later, as she passes me she says by the way or you Ron Phipps? Yes I am and she lives ten blocks away from me in Rhode Island.

It is amusing to be in Naples, Florida where the Rhode Island reunion is bigger than most high school reunions. Furthermore, everyone knows everyone and all the non-Rhode Islanders know where Rhode Island actually is.

Among the more humbling experience was during a trip to San Martin. My wife and I were on one of the most beautiful beaches on earth: Orient Beach. Part of the beach is a clothing optional beach. No, they were not optional for me. My wife persuades me to take a walk. Most people are speaking French and it is a great place. As we make our way back to our things, someone with a Rhode Island accent yells Ron. I really do not want this person to know me, and I really do not want to see him without clothes. We start to walk faster and my wife says, why are you ignoring your name. “It’s not me.” He calls out again: RON PHIPPS. Slowly I turn to say hello, praying that this guy has his bathing suit on. He does… Thank God!

With most of the world, there are six degrees of separation between any two random people. In Rhode Island is it closer to one and half degrees of separation. Rho-dar
is the Rhode Island version of hometown GPS. Rhode Islanders always find other Rhode Islanders regardless of where they are. Invariably if you meet another Rhode Island they will ask if you know so and so. The conversation continues until there is a common acquaintance. It is intriguing and noteworthy, that the conversation focuses on people and relationships, not places. This is a home that is about people not things. So next time you traveling the world, let your Rho-dar go to work!


Ron Phipps, February 2007

No comments: